Friday, February 28, 2014

The Oily Guide to Facial Oils

I've started making my foray into facial oils, and these are the three that I decided to start out with- one by Tarte, one by Peter Thomas Roth, and one by the Body Shop.  I'm really happy with what these have been doing for my skin, so let me share my opinions with you!

1) Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil: Okay, so I have no idea what 'maracuja' is and I'm way to tired too look it up, but this stuff smells divine! I don't really know how to describe it except that it's sort of earthy and woody with a little hint of cocao in it.  This came as a deluxe sample size in the Tarte box I picked up the other day.  I've seen many a blogger rave about this oil and I wanted to see what all the hype was about.  You are supposed to apply this after cleansing every night to help give your skin a bit of a boost while you sleep.  I don't know if I've noticed a true 'boost' per say, but I have noticed that my skin feels a great deal softer when I get up in the morning.  The only problem I have with this is the dropper, it's hard to get a lot of product in the little dropper vial but that is okay at the same time because you only need two or three drops to get the job done.
2) Peter Thomas Roth Oiless Oil 100% Purified Squalane: I actually looked this one up, squalane is a hydrocarbon and triterpene derived from the hydrogenation of squalene.  Basically, squalane is taken from plants but can also come from the liver of sharks but this oil specifically came from a plant- so no worries! This intrigued me when I was in Ulta's and I just had to pick it up to see what it was all about because it claims to be an 'oiless oil' and to be more like water.  How could that be? Well, I may not know how they did this but it doesn't feel like an oil when applied to the skin.  There really isn't a scent to this, which is nice, because then I don't feel overwhelmed.  The dropper in this is great and gets a lot of product in one go but you only need a few drops to cover you're entire face and neck.  The one problem with this is that it doesn't absorb very quickly and I find that if I put my BB cream on right after applying it, it becomes very streaky because the oil hasn't sunk in all the way.
3) The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil: This isn't necessarily a face oil, but I included it anyway because it has the word oil in it. Hey, it's how my mind works.  Anyway... I use this mainly as a spot treatment during the day when I get a really bad zit or can feel one starting to come on.  Tea Tree Oil is a natural disinfectant and is recommended to people who have acne prone skin who want a natural alternative to things like prescription creams.  Personally, I use both this and prescription creams (Epiduo) and my skin has never looked better.  The one thing I don't like about this is the scent, it's very over powering and takes a while to dissipate and I don't find the scent to be quite that pleasant.  Oddly enough, though, I find it comforting because it smells like a sterile hospital room to me and, well, I've been in and out of hospitals so much the smell is comforting and alarming at the same time... I'm still trying to figure out how that might be.
What facial oils do you like to use? XOXO

4 comments:

  1. I love tea tree oil, smells so good! The Tarte oil sounds lovely. I really want to try The Body Shop's vitamin e serum in oil :)

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title made me laugh! I love tea tree oil, but I totally agree with you about the smell. I have been using it as a sot treatment lately, and it works so well! You have gotten me intrigued about the maracuja oil now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised by the maracuja oil, it's definitely worth a look :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and read my posts, it really does mean the world to me! I read each and everyone of your comments and try my best to reply to each one individually. Have a great day!