Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Eyelash Curlers, Torture Chambers or Objects of Brilliance?

Earlier today I was asked by one of my friends what the best eyelash curlers are and that got me thinking, besides answering just her question why not also calm the nerves of those just entering into makeup and trying one of them for the first time?  They look like 'torture chambers' as my boyfriend calls them but they truly aren't.  They do require a bit of finesse but once you've got it down, you're golden. So let's get started with some of the best curlers out there and then I'll explain, to the best of my ability, on how to use them.  Shall we begin?
There are many eyelash curlers to choose from, from travel size, 'S' curve, heated, or full curler (pictured above) so how do you know what's right for you? Let's look at the pictures and I'll explain the differences.
1. 
This is your typical eyelash curler, two grips for your hand, a steel cage for the eyeball to fit comfortably, and two pieces of curved metal (one of which is padded) to squeeze together firmly to curl your lashes.  This is the most basic and easiest to use of the lash curlers.  The cheapest and best one I could find was the ELF Studio Line Eyelash Curler for $3.  I use these all the time on clients because, well, I'm just starting out and it's the best I could afford the most of and they work really well!  If you want really high end, then Shu Uemura curlers are the way to go but you will be forking over $20 for one curler.  I myself use the Tarte special edition curler, but they are all basically the same.  I got mine at Ulta for $18 but instead of having finger holes they have grips for handles.  I find this easier for me because if something were to happen and I need to move it from my face fast I could literally just drop it instead of having it attached to my hand.
2. 
These are called 's' lash curlers.  They only curl a few lashes at a time but they are able to get to the little tiny baby hairs on the inner and outer corner of your eye.  I myself have never used one but would really like to give one a go but the only decent one I've found is by Shu Uemura and again it's a bit pricey for a curler.
3. 
Ahh, the travel curler.  Looks a bit dinky but actually does produce pretty good results.  As you can see from this picture Revlon makes one but so does Ulta and almost every other brand imaginable.  I would not use this for your day to day makeup as I do not believe that it curls your lashes to their fullest ability but they are good to take if you have to pack pretty light because they don't take up much space at all.
4. 

The heated eyelash curler, the beast I have yet to tousle with.  I do know that the heating does work though, my mom does it all the time and people ask if she is wearing falsies! I would say be very wary and careful when using a heated curler because you are near the very sensitive eye area and you wouldn't want to burn yourself.  This is also only one example of what the look like, another one I've seen looks like more of a normal eyelash curler except with only one handle and one plate.  

Now, how to best the beast. First off, take a few deep breaths, you're going to do fine.  DO NOT I repeat DO NOT put mascara on before you curl your lashes. This will cause damage to your lashes and in some sever cases, because the mascara dries onto the metal, cause your lashes to be ripped out.  Sorry to be so gruesome, but I've seen it happen. Then take your eyelash curler and put so that the base of the bottom plate is resting against the lower part of your upper lash line an that your lashes are now in between the two plates.  GENTLY squeeze the eyelash curlers together and give it a few pumps then hold it there for about ten seconds then release.  Repeat this step to the other eye.  Now, I've found that using waterproof mascara does best at holding the curl you have just put in your lashes but waterproof or normal, that call is up to you.  Now, see, that wasn't so hard was it? Okay, maybe it was a tiny bit hard and maybe a little scary, but with some practice you'll be a pro no time and be able to do it without thinking about it.  Did you find this helpful? Would you like to see more posts like this? What would you like to see? Let me know down below in the comments! XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Personally I'd rather have straight eyelashes than battle with eeylash curlers, I always get my eyelid stuck in them!
    Lizzy | by Lizzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have that problem too until I started wiping them down with alcohol after each use :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and read my posts, it really does mean the world to me! I read each and everyone of your comments and try my best to reply to each one individually. Have a great day!