Sunday, November 17, 2013

Tattoo Care

At the end of this past August, I got my first tattoo. I got it at a tattoo parlor downtown called Iron Tiger, and it was a great experience.  It didn't hurt, but it is small and I have a high threshold for pain too.  It's a semi-colon which to me represents that this is not where my story is supposed to end and that the end is where we start from since in grammar it denotes a sentence that could have ended but instead changed and kept going.
But, how do you care for a new tattoo? First, keep it clean but don't keep it bandaged for longer than a day (or at least that's what they did for mine).  Then wash it twice a day, or more if you are really physically active and sweating, with an unscented Soap.  I used a Dial moisturizing hand wash, unscented, to gently wash it.  You DO NOT scrub or rub hard, just gently wash the tattoo and then PAT it dry.  Then take an UNSCENTED lotion and put it over the tattoo.  The tattoo will scab over and this helps it to heal to where it's not raised and rough.  I would put the lotion on at three different points during the day- when I got up, in the middle of the day, and right before I went to bed.  I kept up this routine up through the second week of September.  The biggest thing is to keep an eye on it and if it starts to look infected or not right, you need to go see a doctor immediately.  I hope some of you can find this helpful!


7 comments:

  1. That is such a cute tattoo! I got mine a couple of years ago. It is pretty huge and on the back of my shoulder so caring for it was a little difficult. Rubbing lotion onto your own back is almost impossible! Great blog by the way. :)

    http://mattekat.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! and I can't even imagine how hard that was!

      Delete
  2. I love the meaning of this tattoo. It really is lovely, I have a flower on my wrist and I always found sleeves from clothing seemed to rub on it which was a tad annoying whilst healing. Lovely post!
    :)

    Emily / Glittery Teacups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was summer, so I was lucky enough to not have to deal with long sleeves.

      Delete
  3. I don't have a tattoo, but this was definitely an interesting read.

    And yours is very pretty.

    gingercatqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! I have a high pain tolerance too but man tattoos hurt! I like your reasoning behind yours!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and read my posts, it really does mean the world to me! I read each and everyone of your comments and try my best to reply to each one individually. Have a great day!