Wednesday, September 9, 2015

What Do I Do In My Spare Time?

Some of my followers have been asking for some non-beauty related posts, so who am I to say no?  I don't try to hide anything from you, mostly, what I do is out there for all of the world to see.  As an actor and a designer, my work is out there for people to see why shouldn't some parts of my life be too? Long way around saying that this post is all about what I do in the time that I'm not  working on something that is beauty or planner relate, although the planner related thing is fairly new as in under three months new. Anyway, I can really ramble on, can't I? Here are some pictures and explanations of what I enjoy doing in my free time!

1. As I mentioned above, I've majorly gotten into planning with stickers and the whole shebang and along with that comes hearing about the Reset Girl.  The Reset Girl created something called ListersGottaList and, being someone looking for as many creative outlooks as possible because I obviously don't have enough, I decided to join.  Did I mention that it's completely free to join and do each monthly challenge?  You get an e-mail one or two days before the start of the month with the next month's list of listing challenges.  The first one is always 'My Favorite memories of (insert month here)' and the last one is always (or usually) 'Things I accomplished this month'. If you're interested in joining the ListersGottaList challenge, click the link here.
2.  I also really enjoy coloring, seriously, it's very therapeutic and calming.  Being able to focus on the ittiest bittiest of details for some reason relaxes my brain.  Sadly, though, it doesn't help me go to sleep.  Barnes and Noble right now has a TON of coloring books out, so if you're curious I would head there or to Amazon.
3.  I also love to read, right now I'm actually working on a few books but I just photographed one- Man's Search for Meaning which I am finding to be absolutely fascinating.  I am also reading Off the Page by Jodi Piccoult and Samantha Van Leer and I'm listening to Felicia Day's book You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) as well as a short Doctor Who novella and I just started listening to Marie Kondo's The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I know, I know, a lot of books right?  You have to understand, though, that when I was in school I would be reading books for class and for pleasure and now that I can just read for pleasure I take full advantage of it. I know what you're probably thinking, "How can she keep it all straight in her head?" that, my dear readers, is the easy part.  If you notice, all of the books I'm reading or listening to are vastly different from each other.  I never try to read books that are close in what they are about or genre or character likenesses but sometimes it does happen and it can be confusing, but I always figure it out in the end.  
What book(s) are you reading or listening to right now?
4. As I mentioned in my intro, I'm an actor as well as being a designer- specifically a sound designer, makeup designer and artist, director, and a prop master.  This is not the latest show I've worked on, that's actually going to be Lost in Yonkers, but I chose to show you this play because it has all of the tabs still in it from where I marked out where specific props were and where sound cues were needed.  Thinking about it, I should have also taken a picture of one of my many highlighted scripts from one of the shows I've been in, oh well.  This may look a little hectic, haphazard, and discombobulated but it really isn't there is just a lot of it.  This,  the theatre- performing and designing and directing, is what truly, truly makes me happy.  Yes makeup is also my passion, but I've loved theatre just as long, if not a wee bit longer.  Working on a show, whether it's performing, designing, or as a crew member makes me feel at home.  
5. As mentioned just above I am, first and foremost, a performer.  That is what I started out as and the design and directing aspects came later in my life.  This was the first sheet music book I ever bought, a compilation of Rodgers and Hammerstein's shows and songs.  Which, when I think about when I bought it, it was way out of my league.  Now? Not so much now that I have been properly trained and can tap out my part on a piano to learn a new song.  I also chose this book to show because I will be auditioning for Miracle on 34th Street next week and I chose my audition song from this book.  Granted I chose a pocket song, but it's one that shows range and versatility which is what you want.  I also chose to show music because it has been a huge part of my life, from a very young age my parents started taking me to musicals and my love for music spurred from that and my love for Rock and non- musical theatre music came from my dad and  societal influences.  At any given time you can find me listening to music, reading music, editing music, humming music, or singing.  I do it when I'm stressed, I do it when I'm nervous, happy, scared, practically any emotion you can think of, I use music to either enhance the moment or help me through it.  Like right now, I'm listening to my "Zoning Music" playlist on iTunes.  My zoning music is a conglomeration of songs that make me feel good, they're all different genres, artists, everything.  It's an eclectic bunch, like right now at this moment "Fix You" by Coldplay is playing but up next it could be "The Madhatter" from the musical Wonderland.
6.  Lastly, I know this has been a long post but this is the last thing I promise, is that I love to knit- especially loom knitting.  I love doing this while I'm watching TV, Netflix, or YouTube, especially knitting on the loom.  The loom, even though it's newer to me, I can do mindlessly and have it come out beautifully (right now I'm making a hat) but for me straight knitting takes my full concentration and attention.  I'm not completely sure as to why that is, but it is, and right now with that I'm working on a blanket for my baby cousin who is about to turn 1... it was supposed to be a baby shower gift.  That's the other thing, with loom knitting I'm very fast but with straight knitting I'm actually quite slow because it requires the use of both hands and arms and my left arm has trouble keeping up with my right arm.  I told my cousin he'd have the blanket before he entered Jr. High... I really hope I have it done waaaaay before then though.  What makes knitting extra special for my spare time is that once a week, our neighbor friend Ms. Elaine comes over and we knit together.  The last few times though, she's been knitting and I've been working on work on the computer or my Listers challenge but she doesn't seem to mind.  We just enjoy each other's company and spending time together.  She really makes that knitting time really special and fun.
Welp, that's it folks, that was certainly a long one, wasn't it? If you read all the way til the end, thank you! I love blogging and making video content for all of you, and it truly makes me happy to know that just one person has read what I've posted.  I'm going to say goodbye for now and I'll see you Thursday, but it maybe sooner if I get really inspired.  Have a wonderful week, guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment and read my posts, it really does mean the world to me! I read each and everyone of your comments and try my best to reply to each one individually. Have a great day!